Frequently Asked Questions
Artists and Artwork
How are items selected for inclusion on your site?
At Artful Home, we are always looking for extraordinary new works of art, craft, and design by North American artists. Because we are committed to offering a collection of the highest quality, every artist must go through a rigorous jurying process to be accepted to our site. Our Artistic Advisory Panel—headed by Michael Monroe, former curator-in-charge of the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery—selects only those artists who meet or exceed our expectations.
Do you offer special orders or custom work?
Yes. Some artists are happy to alter the dimensions, colors, or other details of a work of art to suit your needs. Depending upon the modification, this may change the price of the item. Please contact Customer Care at 1-877-223-4600 for assistance with special orders.
Is all art on your site one of a kind?
The artwork we offer can be classified in three ways: one of a kind, limited edition, and production.
- One of a kind means the artwork you are viewing is the only one created. It is a unique work of art.
- Limited edition means the artist will only create a predetermined number of a piece. For some artists, each piece in an edition will be an identical, original work of art. For others, each piece will vary within a particular palette, size range, etc. Often, the pieces will be signed and numbered by the artist.
- Production means the artist is willing to create the same piece over and over. Each piece may vary slightly in size and color, as each is an individual work of art.
I am an artist and I would like to sell my work on your site. How do I apply?
You are welcome to apply to sell through the Artful Home. More information can be found here.
How do I care for my artwork?
Although original works of art are made with durability and longevity in mind, there are a few simple things you can do to enhance your artwork's lifespan. Find out more about caring for artwork.
Placing an Order
I prefer not to place my order online. Is there another way I can order?
Yes. You may also place an order by calling Customer Care at 1-877-223-4600.
Can I place an order from an international address?
We're sorry, but we cannot currently ship to locations outside the United States and Canada.
When is my credit card charged?
Your credit card is charged at the time your order is placed. All of the artists who sell through Artful Home are working from independent studios, and in many cases, they are making items specifically to fill your order. Getting payment up front allows artists to more easily cover the costs of making your artwork.
Why are orders shipping to Wisconsin addresses taxed?
Artful Home is based in Madison, Wisconsin. According to state and federal tax rules, we are required to collect sales tax on any item shipped to a Wisconsin address.
What is the Artful Rewards program?
The Artful Rewards program is a way for you to enjoy some great benefits at Artful Home, including free shipping on apparel and early access to sale events. Find out more here.
Does it cost anything to be a member?
No. Participating in the Artful Rewards program is completely free.
I don't want to receive Artful Home emails. Can I still be a member of the Artful Rewards program?
Unfortunately, no. You must be subscribed to Artful Home emails in order to be an Artful Rewards member and receive the benefits of the program.
When will my order ship?
Ship times vary depending on the artist and the time required to create your order. You can find the ship time for any piece on its product page; look for the words "This piece ships on or before..."
After placing your order, you will receive an email telling you when to expect its arrival. Once the artist ships your order, you will receive another email that includes the shipper's tracking information.
If you have questions about delivery times or tracking packages, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-223-4600.
What is your return policy?
You may return any item within 14 days of receiving it (with the exception of special or custom orders). You will receive a refund of the purchase price, minus shipping charges, in the same form of payment used to place your order.
If you wish to make a return, please email us at email@example.com or call us toll free at 1-877-223-4600.
For more details about returns, please see our Return Policy.
How do I return an item?
To complete a return:
- Contact Customer Care at 1-877-223-4600 or firstname.lastname@example.org to start the return process.
- If your order arrived via UPS or USPS, we will provide you with a return service label. If your order arrived via a freight carrier or blanket-wrap service, please inspect the artwork before signing off on the delivery. To return a freight delivery piece, please contact us to make arrangements.
- Repack your order. Use the original packing materials if possible. If the original materials are not usable, use appropriate packing materials with plenty of cushioning. You are responsible for any damage due to improper packaging; please take care to repack items carefully. If you are unsure how to do so, please call us at 1-877-223-4600 for assistance.
- Please send your return within a week of receiving the return service label. Note that you are responsible for return shipping costs.
When and how will I receive my refund?
Your refund will be processed one business day after your return is received, though it may take up to 10 business days for your refund to appear in your payment account. Note that we cannot provide refunds for any items that have been damaged, altered, or worn.
You will receive your refund in the same form of payment used to place your order. You will be credited for the price of the item minus shipping costs. If your return was a gift, you may choose to receive an Artful Home gift certificate or to have the buyer credited for the purchase price of the item.
If you provided an email address when you ordered, we will notify you of the status of your return via email.
Can I cancel an order?
Any order—aside from special or custom orders—can be canceled before it is shipped by the artist. To cancel an order, please email us at email@example.com or call us toll free at 1-877-223-4600. Your will receive a refund within 3 – 5 business days in the same form of payment used to place your order.
How much does return shipping cost?
Our artists ship directly from their studios—and returns are shipped directly back to the artists. Therefore, some return shipping charges vary.
For apparel, shoes, and jewelry, there is a flat fee of $5 per shipment (one shipment=one artist). For example, if you are returning three apparel pieces, and all three are shipped to the same artist, you will be charged for one shipment. If all three pieces are shipped to different artists, you will be charged for three shipments.
For all other items (sculpture, paintings, furniture, etc.), the return charge is the actual cost of shipping the artwork to the artist.
To find out how much your return will cost, please contact Customer Care at 1-877-223-4600.
Do you ever share email addresses?
Absolutely not. We will never share your email address with anyone. Furthermore, we will only send marketing emails to customers who have opted to receive them.